Thursday, October 1, 2009

Our first ear infection :(

Matilda is 8 months old today, and she has her first ear infection. I should be thankful that she's had 8 months without a single issue, but it still scares me a little. I know that the risks of complications from ear infections are rare for kids with CIs, but they are there.

She is such a happy baby that I almost dismissed the signs. She has been a little grumpier, and pulling at one ear, but she does have two huge processors sitting on her ears, so it isn't really surprising. Anyway, I decided to take her to our friendly, but CI clueless GP. He has never seen CIs before and said that he had never looked in an ear of someone with a CI (I explained that it wouldn't look any different). One of her ears is red, so we've got antibiotics and hopefully that will clear it up quickly. I'm undecided as to whether I'll ring the ENT. We live 90 minutes away, and literally only just got back from our latest trip to the big smoke so I really don't want to travel down again.

While we were at the GP the nurse also weighed Matilda (to determine the antibiotic doseage). It looks like she hasn't gained weight for two months, which is what I was fearing. All my kids have been small, but not this small. Matilda is 8 months, and weighs 6.1kg (just over 13 pounds). We have been told that growth problems may be a symptom of her CMV, but I don't know what we will be able to do about it. We're heading back to the doctor in two weeks to see if she's gained any weight, so I'll be doing my best to beef her up.

No comments:

Post a Comment