Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Feeling blessed

Those of you that know me personally will know that this year has been pretty awful for our family. The highlight obviously was Matilda's birth, but it has been pretty bad from then on. Our first low point was Matilda's diagnosis which we thought at the time was the worst thing that could happen to us. Just three months later our wonderful neighbours lost their twin daughters and another family members in an horrific car crash just near our home. I will never forget the moment that the police arrived in our street to tell the neighbours what had happened. The next morning I had to sit with my five year-old son and tell him that two of his dear little friends had been killed. It felt so wrong and was something that I hoped I would never have to do again. Tragically just a few months later I sat down again with my son to give him similar news - his school chaplain and the chaplain's wife had been killed in another car crash. It is not fair that my children have attended more funerals in their young lives that my husband has in his 31 years of life. It isn't fair that my five year old thinks that when police come to your house, it is to tell you that someone has died. I was reminded of all these emotions when my neighbour dropped by this morning. I have been struggling to function over the past few weeks, but to see this man, obviously still overwhelmed with grief, made me remember that I am truly blessed. I have three wonderful children who I get to hug each day. My life may not be a bed of roses, but its a darn sight better than it could be.

So, not wallowing in self pity, here's the positive side of this post :). For the past few weeks Matilda has been saying something that has sounded a lot like "hello". I figured that I had my 'mummy ears' on, so I hadn't really mentioned it to anyone. Well at today's MAPing appointment, our audiologist switched Matilda back on with her new MAPs, and we all said hello, as we normally do. Matilda looked up and said "hello" as clear as day, and continued to repeat it back to us. How amazing! Only 8 months old and hearing for just over a month. It was also fantastic to hear that the right implant is working OK. Her high frequencies have gone up, but the audiologist said that the MAP has just leveled out, which is totally normal.

So today I'm feeling pretty blessed and grateful for my little family. I'm also grateful because the Nucleus 5 just got TGA approval in Australia, so hopefully they'll be released here soon (well actually, not until February, because apparently all the stock has been sent to the lovely folk in the US and they didn't leave any here).

Just to round out my happy post, here's some pics of my three beautiful cherubs.









No comments:

Post a Comment