Sunday, March 7, 2010

Happy 6 months hearing Miss M

Today marks 6 months of hearing for Matilda's right ear (the activation was done over two days). In many ways I have been dreading this day. When I think back to 6 months ago, this is not how I thought things would look. I thought that my very bright, intelligent little girl would be babbling, talking alot of the time, and have a few words in her vocabulary. I think that I have high expectations, but I didn't think that they were unrealistic. The past few months particularly have been frustrating. Matilda's therapist and audiologist think that she is doing fine, but I don't think fine is good enough. My mummy instinct tells me that there's a reason that she isn't talking, but I just haven't worked out what it is. We're still in the process of getting a 2nd opinion (we access the only AVT service in our state, and the next closest service is 11 hours away, but it will be happening soon.

I have decided though, that even though it is important for me to advocate for my little girl, I also need to be mindful of just how far she has come. 6 months ago my little girl wouldn't turn her head when someone was clapping. Now she will smirk and laugh when I whisper her name. 6 months ago Matilda had no real way of communicating. Now she will crawl to the door and yell ee-ah to indicate to me that she wants to go on the swing.

So my little princess, what a huge 6 months it has been. You have come so far in your short little life and I know that the next 6 months will bring many new and wonderful experiences for you.

4 comments:

  1. Happy 6th month hearing Matilda!! How exciting! I understand what you are going through with high expectations and not accepting that the professionals are saying she is doing just fine. I think a second opinion is great advocacy for your daughter. I have an 18 month old niece who has "normal" hearing and she understands lots and only says a few words with more coming only now. Remember your daughter is 1 year old and verbal communication is on its way. She has made leaps in her communication development, imagine what the next 6 months will bring on! Can't wait to hear about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our AVT says that the first year of truly hearing is a listening year. However, I know too well that you need to trust your gut and believe that what you feel is right.

    We have had many struggles to get Thomas where he is today, which is still not perfect...my gut tells me that much is true. His map has been way off, not because of our audiologist, just because we were discovering new things about our little man. It will be okay, it will be glorious, just trust your gut!

    Please keep us posted and keep writing. I so enjoy your blog and find strength within it. Keep writing, trust your mummy gut and know that you are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for leaving the note on Drew's blog! I don't have the graph you were talking about. Could you point me in the right direction for it?

    jgolowin (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was very nice blog and got lots of information .Thanks

    http://www.wheelchairindia.com/upload/B-T-E-Model-726543790.aspx?CatVal=109

    ReplyDelete